Tuesday, April 1, 2014

DIY : Recycled Floral Crochet Flats

I love the richness that lace and crochet can bring to a wardrobe. While crochet flats have been on my list for as long time, finding ones that I loved and that fit into my itsy bitsy budget was quite another story! I stumbled upon these ones from Accessorize a while ago, but while I was doing the basket dance with them, they went out of stock and alas, I was without my beloved flats again!

Is it me or can DIY go a long way into my wish list? (Maybe I need a new wish list). Check out the transformation of these simple black flats into cool (goth-y?) crochet flats. Not to mention the tank top I never wore.

Here's what you'll need:
  • A pair of plain flats
  • Crochet fabric or an unloved item of clothing
  • Fabric Mod Podge or fabric glue (here)
  • Instant super glue (or E6000 if you have access to it)

Step 1: Cut the fabric off the tank




Step 2: Fabrc sleeves seemed to fit quite well over the top of the flats, so cut those off separately.


Step 3: Apply a layer of fabric glue on the top portion of the flats and glue the sleeve pieces flat onto them. Don't worry about a perfect fit at this point of time. 




Step 4: Try out different portions of the fabric to see what fit best on the sides of the shoes and glue them on accordingly. Finish up the back of the shoes




Step 5: Glue on any stray pieces onto gaps left on the shoes. Leave to dry for a few hours.


Step 6: With small scissors, trim off any excess fabric and protruding threads. Apply a line of instant glue to the fabric edges.




And there you have your pretty crochet flats - so versatile! 








No comments:

Post a Comment