Saturday, March 15, 2014

DIY: The Great Gatsby Inspired Pearly Heels

My close ones love to point out the much evident fact that I have a serious love for The Shiny and The Unique (Hmmm.. all that glitter is gold?). I just respond that it is one of the good things about being Indian - we are a very bling-friendly community. One can rock some serious flash at the slightest chance without too many raised eyebrows. There are just so many occasions to bring out your sparkle love - own wedding, close family weddings, distant family weddings, related family weddings, gazillion festivals, get-togethers, the list is just too long!

As you know, I've been going bonkers over pearls (among-st other things) lately - pretty much pearl-encrusted anything. So when I saw a pair of heels that I hadn't used for so long probably on their way to donation or disposal, it was a match made in heaven. The end result - cool pearl-dipped shoes (all my favorite words) with a vintage Gatsby feel to them.

Here's what you'll need:
  • A pair of shoes
  • Self-adhesive scrap-booking pearl sticker rows of various sizes. (Used here- 6mm, 4 mm, 3mm, 2mm)
  • Instant drying super glue
  • Gold spray paint


Step 1: Spray paint the shoes antique gold to get the vintage look. I painted the soles as well, for consistency.


Step 2: Start by attaching the adhesive strips from the bottom-sides of the shoe, adding a drop of super-glue intermittently to ensure a longer life. I also added in the rhinestone stickers from time-to-time for a teeny bit of shine.



Step 3: Continue adding rows of random-sized stickers until about half the sides are done.

Step 4: Add in pearls to the front of the shoe, following its shape.


Step 5: Cover up the remaining area as much as possible, ending at the back of the shoe and the heel. I've adding a dripping-pearl effect at the heel (Nope, no such thing as too much pearl)

Step 6: And they're done! You can walk the extra mile and do a pearly clutch too (seen in background). 




-Cheers! 


6 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! What was the brand and color of paint that you used? and did the paint chip off after a while?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! what color paint did you use and by what company? also did the paint chip after a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I used a local brand of paint and its still going strong. If you have access however, I would recommend Krylon Gold Metallic spray paint - its quite good color-wise!

      Delete
  4. can you post like all of the materials with the brands and all? I really want to ge this perfect! theyre so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I used locally sourced spray paints and pearl rows. If you have access however, I've been using Krylon Gold Metallic for recent projects and it gives a lovely color! I also saw some beautiful pearl adhesive rows in Kaisercraft. Hope that helps!

      Delete